[XviD-devel] vbr module

daniel smith xvid-devel@xvid.org
Fri, 02 Aug 2002 14:17:47 +0800

> i'm  testing the vbr  code again  and again  and
i'm  very disapointed
> because the normal curve treatment (no alt cc)
never sticks to desired
> size. Some times i get undersized files and
other times oversized...

i'd say something's gone funny - i've only ever had
foxer's code miss the target file size by +- 10 KB.

> I suspect the code to be buggy because of the
KFoverflow == 0 all test
> long and the too small keyframes encodings. I
will post the code soon,
> so if someone want to test it and debug it... he
would be welcome.

i'd be glad to, but can't until next wednesday due
to travel.  a tiny change in the 2-pass code from
vfw could easily throw the whole thing off, believe
me i've been there.

> PS  :  using the  vfw  defaults except  for
max_framesize  == 150%  *
> computed_average_frame_size   and
twopass_max_bitrate   ==  150%   *
> computed_average_bitrate. Is this wrong ?

typically max_bitrate will be some absurd number
like 10000000 bps, unless your decoding
machine isn't fast enough for so many bitstream
hits.  that may be a large part of the problem.  i
can't remember right now, but max_framesize is
calculated from max_bitrate, isn't it?

it's been a long time since i looked at vfw code,
hopefully i can be of some help next week.

dan