[XviD-devel] Adaptive quantisation

Dirk Knop xvid-devel@xvid.org
Sun, 04 Aug 2002 18:44:26 +0200

Hi,

Michael Militzer wrote:

>well, I don't know. Pretty much thresholds are needed. But I think I'll add
>some additional code (activity masking), after I looked at the adapt quant
>code again anyway, this needs no API change (flags). So you'll all get
>something new to play with ;-)

Well, for now I'd be satisfied if I got the old luma masking code back
in CVS since this really seems to be important to the users.

>btw: there's a new codec comparison? I didn't knew this too. From what you
>said, we're not very good this time?

XviD got even disqualified for SPR as the scenes tested were a huge
"block-fest"  :-(
Well, I spent several hours explaining Doom9 how to use XviD, he did
several new encodes (he listened to another person as well [namely
MaTTer] and mixed what he thought was best *grrr*). Maybe this is the
effect of the luma masking code as it is now like you explained in the
first reply. I think the old luma masking code would help those scenes.
On the other hand, Doom9 has no interest in those codecs anymore, but in
DVD authoring, so it's clear that he doesn't like to fiddle around with
a codec but wants some results with some easy settings (well, back in
the nandub times this was way different...).

Sorry that the link I came up with doesn't contain the real useful
information, but it all started there at least.

Regards,
Dirk