[XviD-devel] Adaptive quantisation

Christoph Lampert xvid-devel@xvid.org
Sun, 4 Aug 2002 18:51:32 +0200 (CEST)

> XviD got even disqualified for SPR as the scenes tested were a huge
> "block-fest"  :-(

Do you have a link for that?

> Well, I spent several hours explaining Doom9 how to use XviD, he did
> several new encodes (he listened to another person as well [namely
> MaTTer] and mixed what he thought was best *grrr*). Maybe this is the
> effect of the luma masking code as it is now like you explained in the
> first reply. I think the old luma masking code would help those scenes.
> On the other hand, Doom9 has no interest in those codecs anymore, but in
> DVD authoring, so it's clear that he doesn't like to fiddle around with
> a codec but wants some results with some easy settings (well, back in
> the nandub times this was way different...).

That's what I have been telling for ages... make a simple simple simple
API with reasonably good default options for the 99% "normal" users who
will only make things worse if they try to change anything.

Then hide a config button somewhere, somewhere where it's really difficult
to see (or maybe even impossible to see and just write where one has to
click in the documentation).

That's one advantage of Linux: If the users don't get what they expect,
they don't blame the software or the programmer but themselves for not
knowing how to use the stuff...

Christoph H. Lampert chl@math,uni-bonn,de | Diese Signature wurde maschi-
Beringstr. 6, Raum 14 Tel. (0228) 73-2948 | nell erstellt und bedarf
Sprechstunden: keine, aber meistens da    | keiner Unterschrift. AZ 27B-6