[XviD-devel] Adaptive quantisation

Michael Militzer xvid-devel@xvid.org
Sun, 4 Aug 2002 19:47:24 +0200

Hi,

> Christoph Lampert wrote:
>
> >>XviD got even disqualified for SPR as the scenes tested were a huge
> >>"block-fest"  :-(
> >>

> >Do you have a link for that?
> >
> Sure, http://www.doom9.org/codec3-1.htm .
>
> >That's what I have been telling for ages... make a simple simple simple
> >API with reasonably good default options for the 99% "normal" users who
> >will only make things worse if they try to change anything.
> >
> >Then hide a config button somewhere, somewhere where it's really
difficult
> >to see (or maybe even impossible to see and just write where one has to
> >click in the documentation).
> >

> I totally agree on that (and did that long time ago, too). Maybe even
> make it only tweakable via registry, and set some good defaults. Daniel
> was up to a GUI with only 4 settings ;) , but unfortunately never
> finished that approach before he left for his trip.
>
> Maybe we should pick up this idea again... how about some verbose
> settings like "2pass noisy movie, 2pass action movie, 2pass drama. 1pass
> [the same categories]".

yes, totally agreed. I was the one who advised Daniel to make things easier
(and he did a good job). But things have to become even more simple. The
dumbest monkey should be able to do a nice 1 CD encode of Matrix ;-) I'd
suggest to extremely simplify the vfw dialogs so that really only 4 Buttons
are still there. We could add a possibility to enable an excessive expert
GUI only via a define at compile time. This should satisfy Joe User as well
as us developers...

Michael