[XviD-devel] Adaptive quantisation

Michael Militzer xvid-devel@xvid.org
Sun, 4 Aug 2002 19:52:58 +0200

Hi,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Edouard Gomez" <ed.gomez@wanadoo.fr>
To: <xvid-devel@xvid.org>
Sent: Sunday, August 04, 2002 7:19 PM
Subject: Re: [XviD-devel] Adaptive quantisation

> Christoph Lampert (chl@math.uni-bonn.de) wrote:
>
> > It's kind of a wonder that the test wasn't a version with buggy b-frames
> > (but... It a "new!!!" feature) and then XviD would be disqualifie
because
> > of ugly blocks and missing speed...
>
> I don't  know if doom9 uses  to review open source  projects. But i've
> never  seen reviews using  experimental code.  Koepi's builds  are cvs
> snapshots + the  koepi's decision to include square me  or ... i would
> have never used that to test a codec. I'm not criticizing koepi, I'm
criticizing doom9's choice.

you're both right. The daily binaries including untested experimental code
are dangerous (for Joe User). I've already written doom9 about this (and
because I liked to know what the problem really was). What is a bit
disappointing for me is that doom9 didn't wrote me at all that he had any
problems with the comparison. We were in contact when he did his last
comparisons and recently we had some (more or less unimportant) talk about
"when will b-frames be ready etc.". I would have advised him to simply used
an older build...

> When someone has  to review the codec, it should  use a stable release
> (or  the current  stable  snapshot,  as our  releases  are not  called
> releases). I  would have laugh if  someone had tested  mozilla 2 years
> ago with a  nightly build : "well mozilla is shit,  it crashes all the
> time, renders  an html  page in  more than 1  minute..." or  tested my
> speedtouch usb driver cvs when i'm working on new features...

> Perhaps  the solution  is koepi  proposes a  stable -  use  for review
> binary... don't know.

yeah, but we have no real stable version yet. I'd say we should do a lot of
testing and first release when b-frames are ready (and maybe qpel also).
This should improve the current situation a lot.

bye
Michael