[XviD-devel] GMC ?

Christoph Lampert xvid-devel@xvid.org
Wed, 7 Aug 2002 19:53:05 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 7 Aug 2002, Dirk Knop wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Marc FD wrote:
>
> > Is GMC implemented in XviD ??
>
> Noope.
>
> > (if not) Would GMC be implemented a day in XviD ?
>
> I think so. But I've seen noone coding this stuff yet ;) since the
> effect is too small if I remember correctly.

As far as I knowm it depends very much on the material. DivX5's  GMC
is surely not very effective.

But it's on my list of "TODO's". I looked into literature a little. GMC
can be done, and it can be done fast (realtime), but since we haven't
started, yet, I will take quite a while.

> > PS : just need a confirmation from a MPEG-4 "expert".
> > Can Wavelet compression really be used instead of DCT ??
> > i readed somewhere that MPEG-4 was using wavelets ??
> > i think we were using f/i DCT. what's true ??
>
> Wavelet can be used, but someone already wrote earlier that wavelets
> aren't in SIMPLE or ADVANCED SIMPLE mpeg4 profiles and thus it's of no
> use. I too would like to watch an encoding using  wavelet instead of
> DCT, just to see if it can keep up with what it promises ;) (or is DCT
> "non destructive" as well and can be lossless transformed, too? I just
> thought that I read something about that in an older c't...)

MPEG-4 has a (small) section about wavelets, but not for video, only for
still images/textures.
For video, wavelets still have too many problems. They may be useful for
very low bitrates (ISDN telephone) one day, but don't expect XviD to adopt
this.

Christoph H. Lampert chl@math,uni-bonn,de | Diese Signature wurde maschi-
Beringstr. 6, Raum 14 Tel. (0228) 73-2948 | nell erstellt und bedarf
Sprechstunden: keine, aber meistens da    | keiner Unterschrift. AZ 27B-6