[XviD-devel] "Scene change detection" threshold

Marc FD xvid-devel@xvid.org
Wed, 7 Aug 2002 23:49:54 +0200

> > > I received yet another mail were someone asked me where to find the
> > > slider for scene change detection threshold.
> > > I didn't verify again, but I think it's hard coded now. Any objections
> > > to make that a part of frame.general or frame.global? (well, I dislike
> > > adding just another feature with which you can destroy an encoding,
but
> > > if people keep bugging me about things...)
> >
> > How do you want to add this to "frame.general" or "frame.global" (<-
this
> > one is going to be removed btw!)???
> > The threshhold is supposed to be an integer or a float value, not a
> > flag. As far as I knew, it has never been configurable, but was
hardcoded
> > to 50% or similar.
> >
> > But I would say, a new int-variable for this would not hurt in
> > frame-options, when we change API anyway, soon.
> >
> > Has anyone objections?
>
> no objections. The API can have as many fancy features as people like, but
> we don't have to put a button in the GUI for every feature: as Koepi said,
> this would be just another slider for Joe User to screw up his encoding
and
> we talked about this already earlier..

Just a suggestion :
you could expand the first dialog box (where you chose 1pass/2pass,ect..)
and make it more "Joe User" friendly.
And simply use an advanced config button with a warning like
"here are advanced options for XviD. there are used for tests and debugging.
if you modify them,
you'll most likely srew your encode than gain quality. remember XviD is in
alpha stage of developement."
this should dissuade users  who aren't sure of what the do of modifying
everything.
BTW i only use motion search 6 and it seems i'm not alone. maybe we should
use it to default, no ?
if so, i would only click on Load Defaults before doing some lambda-encode
:)