TransQuant/MBCoding (was: Re: Re[2]: [XviD-devel] [BUG] BFrame encoder doesn't force intra for 1st frame)

Marco Al xvid-devel@xvid.org
Thu, 8 Aug 2002 14:58:56 +0200

Christoph Lampert wrote:

> So I need a hyperfast routine, where:
> * given coefficients are quantized and dequantized
> * the SAD between quant and dequant calculated

> * OR, if that is faster: The routine to be called is of course a
>   "bitcounter", measuring how many bits are needed to encode this block.
>   As far as I know this is based on a lookup table using the quantizer
>   values, and a run-level-method to encode 0s.

> P.S. Yes, it's for adapative quantization. I can't stand "psychovisual"
> heuristics anymore. My area is mathematics, so that's what's going to
> happen on my side.

Dont you want both then? One indicates the distortion, the other the
rate. Using rate to determine distortion or vice versa is a pretty hacky
heuristic too :)

Marco