[XviD-devel] 2pass curve compression

Dirk Knop xvid-devel@xvid.org
Fri, 09 Aug 2002 15:39:16 +0200

Hi,

yetserday I talked some time with Foxer about "his" alt CC curve
compression algorithms.
In th end, the descriptions can be made a little more understandable in
a less-technically language:

High+low distance and min. relative quality affect the amplitude of the
scaled curve, while curve aggression low, medium, high affect the
reaction speed for the overflow treatment.

High distance should have a name that reflects that it represents the
upper bound of the curve. Something like "Max framesize (% of average
framesize)" and for low distance accordingly "Min. framesize (% of
average framesize)". But this isn't all the truth. What happens out of
those borders is that this Min. relative quality stuff get's applied.
There you have too many possibilities what to do as well.

I would like to see new default values implemented into XviD which gave
me good results (I tested on matrix and rush hour2 again) and someone
over at doom9 tested it with fight club, which now finally looks like he
likes it ;)

Ok, those defaults should be:
iframe boost 0
below keyframe distance 10
bitrate reduction 20

payback delay 250 (this has still influence on the curve, even when that
alt CC stuff looks like it shouldn't!)

using alt cc as default (!)
curve aggression medium
high distance 500
low distance 90
min rel quality activated, automatic mode, strength set to 30%

These settings result in a nearly linear downscaled curve, while
applying a mechanism which prevents from already small frames trying to
get over-quantized.

A little weird to setup all this, but the viewing pleasure of the
encodings is remarkable :)

Long-term I really see the need to replace all that CC stuff with
something easier.

I'd like to have a linear scaled curve with a high and lowpass, some
overflow treatment which works like it now works (scene based), and some
mechanism to prevent too small frames to get quantized more ;) Maybe a
reaction delay for the oveflow treatment as well.

But please, nothing so complicated, who would ever guessed that these
values can help the encoding?

Ok, just wanted to share thse results.

Best regards,
Koepi