[XviD-devel] B-Frames

peter ross xvid-devel@xvid.org
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 10:46:41 +1000

hello,

i compiled xvidcore/vfw last night and attempted to compress my
test-video-source with #def BFRAMES/max_bframes=0. i got a segfault at the
first scenechange.

however, compressing with purely iframes OR using an NON-BFRAME compiled
version does not result in a crash. the likely cause is some buggy code in
the #ifdef BFRAME section of interpolation and/or
motionestimation&compensation functions.

about ~3 weeks ago i used exactly the same source video and did NOT
experience a segfault.

i agree with michael; a major code cleanup is required. we should fix this
current bug, tag xvidcore as STABLE0 or something appropriate, and start
work on revamping the api and removing all these #defs.

-- pete