[XviD-devel] Coefficient thresholding

Milos Spasovic xvid-devel@xvid.org
Sun, 18 Aug 2002 12:21:33 UT

> I don't know if it's too late, but I recommend not to make coeff
> thresholding a flag but an integer of 1, 2, or 3. Users could choose
> what they like. (oh great now I remember the discussion how users get
> confused when they have too many options available......)
>
> Thanks for your mail, Milos.

You are welcome :-)
I think it is a great idea if users could select thresholds themselves,
but as Koepi already said VFW interface is way too much cluttered even
without this and regular user would probably choose wrong treshold and
then complain.

> We make coefficient threshholding a flag. If it's switched off,
> a value of 1 (no threshholding) is used for quant>=2 and a value of 2
> is used for quant=1. I doubt that for quant=1 the effect will be
> very visisble...

> All problems "gone", but it still can be switched off.

Yes, I think that this would be the best solution for this "problem".

> Yes, you can't compare this stuff at fixed quant.
> You'll have to use bitrate mode and compare PSNR or visual quality.

Yes, you are right. It's just that I don't have access to my Linux box
atm where I usually check PSNR and other stuff. But as you said either
PSNR or visual quality, and I checked many high quality clips with lots
of details on human faces and with no doubt I can say that threshold
does
remove more details (which is of course logical considering the drop in
filesize).

BTW I was always wondering how DivX 3.11a is managing to keep very big
amount of details even for higher quantizers (but there is noticable
smearing) because it looks like that's the only thing that keeps Doom9
to say that XviD is the only way to go if you want the bigest amount
of details :-)

Thank you for listening,
Milos
--