[XviD-devel] [RFC] Autoconf/automake/libtool tree

Christoph Lampert xvid-devel@xvid.org
Sun, 18 Aug 2002 15:57:12 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 18 Aug 2002, Edouard Gomez wrote:

> Hello folks,
>
> As  many people  is asking  for a  centralized Makefile  for  all unix
> platforms  and flavors, I'm  beginning to  turn the  current Makefiles
> into a single autoconf/automake/libtool templates.
>
> I have a pair of questions about the way I must write them :
>
>  - configure.in will detect all cpus types, check for nasm when needed
> This implies a change in xvid.c  where X86 means "nasm is present". We
> should rename  this preprocessor  directive to HAVE_NASM  or something
> more precise than just X86.

Please please check for the NASM-version, too. The most frequent errors
were due to non-up-to-date nasms.
Maybe even let it assemble 1 line of SSE2-code and switch that off
if nasm fails to success.

> NB: gentoo, marillat debian packager wil be happy with that (i hope :)

:-)
Yes, a gentoo package was the next thing I wanted to see. Do you have
experience with that? Then I wouldn't have to learn how to build
ebuild-scripts.

Christoph H. Lampert chl@math,uni-bonn,de | Diese Signature wurde maschi-
Beringstr. 6, Raum 14 Tel. (0228) 73-2948 | nell erstellt und bedarf
Sprechstunden: keine, aber meistens da    | keiner Unterschrift. AZ 27B-6