[XviD-devel] Multithreaded encode

skal xvid-devel@xvid.org
03 Dec 2002 10:46:11 +0100

	Hi all,

On Fri, 2002-11-29 at 16:00, Christoph Lampert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is there a multithreaded encoding application for Windows?
> Not a multithreaded codec, but an application that does "cluster"
> encode:
> Cut input into parts, encode them individually, join them in the end?
>

> Since we do two-pass encoding with fixed quant (I didn't think about it
> earlier, because for Linux it used to be different), and filesize is also
> reached very well, this would be really easy to implement and provide
> almost linear speedup (counting only pure encoding time) for SMP and
> distributed clusters.
>
> Its not really a feature for XVID, rather of the application that also
> handles two-pass. Maybe VfW could have a feature for it? On linux, there
> could be a wrapper in 2pass-lib, or the feature could be added to
> ordinary transcode cluster mode.

	just a thought around SMP encoding: if the file size
	target is pretty well reached on the whole movie,
	would it be also reached for a quarter of movie? or,
	say, 50000 frames? If so, one could imagine a two
	pass-encoding with a 50000 frames delay between the
	'first pass' instance and the '2nd pass' encoder instance:
	once the 1rst pass instance has analyzed 50000 frames,
	the 2nd one is launched for final encoding, running behind
	with a constant delay, and finishing the last 50000 frames
	alone, when the 1rst instance is finished...
	bye,
		Skal