[XviD-devel] just a question

Christoph Lampert xvid-devel@xvid.org
Wed, 4 Dec 2002 16:59:43 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 4 Dec 2002, Marc FD wrote:
> and i always wanted to write things in XvID. (i've always lots of ideas)
> my question is : are you  too many, or you can accept me as a core coder ?

Hi Marc,

nice to hear from you again.
There is no official "ritual" of how to become a core coder and of course
we can always use more people. If you have good ideas and also write good
and portable code for these, you can always help.
I don't know how much you know about the internals of MPEG-4 encoding or
XVID itself. Image processing is only a small part of this, but of
course it's an important part.

Currently, many things are new in XVID, and there are many ideas for
improving existing features as well as including new ones, and there are
surely not enough people to work on everything at the same time.
Some things are more "internal" (like choosing optimal fcode/bcode for
B-frame motion estimation), others are more "image oriented" (like
prefiltering). Some are completely new (like dynamic B-frame decision, I
don't know any other encoder using it).
There are also many things to improve beyond the core itself, like
distributed two-pass which we were discussing recently.

So, just tell us what good ideas you have in mind! Maybe somebody looked
as something similar earlier and you can discussion and even start
implementation. Many good ideas only came up because of discussions, e.g.
here on the list...

This is of course for anyone. The more we talk about the stuff, the more
good ideas will make it into XVID.

gruel