[XviD-devel] reduced resolution VOPs (rrv) and all sort of things

xvid-devel@xvid.org xvid-devel@xvid.org
Fri, 6 Dec 2002 18:39:37 +0100

	Hi,

	i'm quite away/busy/etc.. these times but
	let's take few time to describe a little
	the rrv stuff: basically, the error correction
	*only* is transmitted at half the resolution. That
	is after iDCT and 8x8->16x16 upsampled you've
	regained the full resolution. Motion prediction
	is not at half resolution, and this is a cool
	thing: you can still take advantage of the
	previous, detailed, frames. The only thing
	is that you're moving 16x16 blocks with
	(averaged) motion vectors, instead of the
	usual 8x8 ones. B-VOP are not subject to
	rrv coding (I wonder why...). My feeling
	is that this would be useful for fast-moving
	scenes to alternate full/half P-VOP, not
	to spoil the bitrate with transient details.
	I roughly tested the idea, but I have nothing
	conclusive as of now. Ok, I'll try to setup a
	binary of my toy codec next week, with rrv
	stuff in it, so people can try to have an
	opinion by theirselves...

	Marc FD (and whoever is interested): I'll be
	co-organizing this coding-party

http://www.stateoftheart.fr.st/

	next week. it's a very good opportunity for
	MPEG4/code/etc.. informal chitchat. We'll also
	have some conferencing equipement handy,
	so we could even improvize a presentation
	/ show / technical workshop / whatever...
	(if the party leave us some time to ;)

	see ya,
			Skal