[XviD-devel] [TODOLIST ITEM] Bit rate controler module

suxen_drol xvid-devel@xvid.org
Mon, 09 Dec 2002 18:44:06 +1100

hi,

On Sun, 8 Dec 2002 21:21:48 +0100 Edouard Gomez <ed.gomez@wanadoo.fr>
wrote:
> Opinion about your code (pete):
>   - it does  not help me,  because i had  already define the  design and
>   structures were almost  fixed (i still have to sort  what will be user
>   land and what will be private land) so it came too late... sorry.

thats okay, it was something i whipped up in an afternoon to test
internal bframes+2pass, because i got sick of hacking vfw.
anway, my encoder.c diff should be of some use, as it performs
RateControlGetQ and RateControlUpdate properly for bframes.

btw, i was amazed at some of the sloppy memcpy going on in the vfw 2pass
code... i hope you have cleaned this up.

>   - it is  not flexible at the  moment, hard coded switch...  is the way
>   you get a nasty, cryptic code  like current vfw... imo we should avoid
>   that in the future (my current 2pass code is the vfw port to ANSI C so
>   it has altcc and so on, but  the overall goal of my work is to provide
>   the  API,  and  first  implementations,  we  can  change  the  modules
>   implementations later)

agree.

> If   this  mail  inspires   you,  i   would  be   happy  to   hear  your
> impressions/questions. I want to  avoid duplicated effort... is it worth
> to continue my work or is pete's rc api enough ?

please continue with your api.

questions:
* is your ratecontrol lib going to be seperate of libxvidcore or
internal? if its going to be external, i wonder what the ffmpeg chaps
would think about using it too?

* when you speak of the 'stats format' are you refering to the api
structure (ie. XVID_ENC_STATS) or the file format (ie. nandub .stats)?

-- pete; life is like a box of ammo