[XviD-devel] Newbie question: Debugging codecs

turan yuksel xvid-devel@xvid.org
Mon, 09 Dec 2002 13:03:55 +0200

Hello,

I am adding some enhancements over the microsoft mpeg-4 code (as a part of
my graduate study) but things usually get slow when I make a bug. It's
sometimes very tiring to detect the location of the bug (encoder or decoder)
since (as far as I've seen)
- the simplest-looking way to detect encoder errors is tracing the bitstream
codeword-by-codeword, after localizing the error.
- the simplest-looking way to detect decoder errors is firstly deciding that
the bitstream is error-free (*)(see above) and then tracing the
code+bitstream line by line.

Since I am implementing my encoder and decoder simultaneously, it's so
difficult to decide if my output is error-free. (since I'm adding something
nonstandard, there are no other players to verify my bitstreams)

I wonder if there's a better technique to debug codecs.

Ok, this is a bit off from the XviD development topic but I had no idea
about where to ask this.