Re[3]: [XviD-devel] rrv en/decoding

Radek Czyz xvid-devel@xvid.org
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 20:47:03 +1030

>> * motion estimation needs modification to support rrv. current the
>> encoder uses the halfpel mv's, which are non-optimal. we need to perform a
>> sad 32x32 and 16x16 search, and scaleup the vectors. is anyone willing
>> to help out here, or give me some "pointers"?

> Sure, I can do that.
> I'll just download the code and see what's it all about. If I won't
> understand anything, I'll ask.

OK that was easy. Done.
However, I noticed that something _really_ bad happened to
inter4v-mode encoding recenly. With current CVS, I have artifacts in
every possible mode (rr, normal, qpel..). It looks like motion
compensation problem... Not ME, I checked it 20 times already.

Skal wrote
>        arghh... seems serious rrv enc is not that easy.
>        I'm sorry i can't give a help right now :(

It's not? Well I can't confirm if my bitstreams are compatible with
anything but xvid... ffdshow doesn't even try to decode reduced
resolution.

OK, I just checked that there is no new code in CVS since my
yesterday's check. I'm clear to commit.

Best regards,
Radek

PS: supporting rr-p-vops together with b-vops is going to be a
problem... How does it work? Do we make 4 new macroblocks out of every
RR-macroblock? Creating a 'correct' macroblock structure will be
important for direct mode (but we also have to look out for any
mode_not_coded in P-vop).