[XviD-devel] unsupported data type / codec performance

Bobololo xvid-devel@xvid.org
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 01:39:47 +0100

Hello !

I've been working for a while now on a MPEG-4 Simple Profile encoder. I've
achieved a state where most basic tools are implemented, and so I was very
interested to evaluate it against popular MPEG-4 codecs like DivX, 3ivX,
Realmagic, Microsoft and of course Xvid :) Moreover, I really get bored
about all these codecs vendors that claim ground breaking performances and
higher than ever quality. I'm really curious to see the real facts !

For this purpose I started to write a little encoder bench tool that feeds
the different encoders with well know 420 YUV test sequences (like
coastguard, foreman, silent, etc) and that measures encoding time,
compressed size and PSNR.

When it will be finished I could possibly make it publicly available if
anyone is interested. But before I have to solve a issue !! This is actually
the main purpose of this mail ! :))

I'm using vfw API to call the different codecs DLL. I don't know whether
this is the best way to do that, I'm a newbee in Windows programming. Anyway
it seems to work fine for most codecs. The only one that fails to work is
REALMagic. It fails when I send the ICM_COMPRESS_BEGIN message. Since Sigma
Designs provides the source code to their codec, I try to investigate myself
the problem. The problem is that I can't even success to compile it ! I get
tons of errors like this :

\codec\decoder\decoder.c(970) : fatal error C1600: unsupported data type

I've seen in the source file header that the original code was from Xvid and
so I'm posting here with the hope that someone could gracefully give me some
hints about this compilation problem or even better help me with my
ICM_COMPRESS_BEGIN issue ?

TIA, b0b0L0l0.