[XviD-devel] pre0 milestone

suxen_drol xvid-devel@xvid.org
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 19:46:57 +1100

On Mon, 16 Dec 2002 08:18:29 -0000 "James Hauxwell" <james.hauxwell@st.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Could someone please explain what is planned for dynamic enable/disable
> of qpel?  If I have read this correctly then it's planned to switch qpel
> on and off on a per frame basis, to save encoding a longer motion
> vector.

there are no plans; ive just made my recomendation, which was to support
qpel on a GOP-by-GOP basis.

> Please would you think long and hard before providing an encoder which
> generates non standard streams, as it's likely that any hardware
> decoders (dvd type) will not be able to support it, or in fact be likely
> to support it.  Hardware manufacturers usually stick to predefined
> standards, and any deviation from that is likely to kill the codec for
> embedded devices.
>
> Please, I really don't want to be stuck with real/windows media or divx
> as an encoder choice.

totally agree.

the current concern regarding qpel is not how it is enable/disabled, but
how it is implemented. xvid, divx5, ffmpeg, and envivio are all
performing qpel interpolation differently, resulting in _incompatibilty_.

-- pete; life is like a box of ammo