[XviD-devel] pre0 milestone

James Hauxwell xvid-devel@xvid.org
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 09:34:49 -0000

Let's just say.

You are OK if you stick within ASP (I'm a little nervous about rrv as
they don't appear in any profile), and qpel implemented in the fashion
described in the corrigendum to 14496-2, which is I believe how xvid has
been implemented then you will be OK.

Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: xvid-devel-admin@xvid.org [mailto:xvid-devel-admin@xvid.org] On
Behalf Of suxen_drol@hotmail.com
Sent: 16 December 2002 08:47
To: xvid-devel@xvid.org
Subject: Re: [XviD-devel] pre0 milestone

On Mon, 16 Dec 2002 08:18:29 -0000 "James Hauxwell"
<james.hauxwell@st.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Could someone please explain what is planned for dynamic
enable/disable
> of qpel?  If I have read this correctly then it's planned to switch
qpel
> on and off on a per frame basis, to save encoding a longer motion
> vector.

there are no plans; ive just made my recomendation, which was to support
qpel on a GOP-by-GOP basis.

> Please would you think long and hard before providing an encoder which
> generates non standard streams, as it's likely that any hardware
> decoders (dvd type) will not be able to support it, or in fact be
likely
> to support it.  Hardware manufacturers usually stick to predefined
> standards, and any deviation from that is likely to kill the codec for
> embedded devices.
>
> Please, I really don't want to be stuck with real/windows media or
divx
> as an encoder choice.

totally agree.

the current concern regarding qpel is not how it is enable/disabled, but
how it is implemented. xvid, divx5, ffmpeg, and envivio are all
performing qpel interpolation differently, resulting in
_incompatibilty_.

-- pete; life is like a box of ammo