[XviD-devel] on-the-fly encoding

suxen_drol xvid-devel@xvid.org
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 22:07:24 +1100

On Mon, 16 Dec 2002 21:55:36 -0000 "Helder Aranha" <hmcpa@ctt.inesc.pt> wrote:

> hi list,
>
> i'm quite new to xvid, and I need to know if one can change the encoding parameters on-the-fly (that is, during the encoding of a live stream).
> Searched the faq's, found nothing about this...

the anwer of your question depends upon what encoding application you
are using, and to which parameters you wish to change.

in video-for-windows, it would take some effort. we'd have to create our
own window _during encoding_ to handle configuration. btw, if anyone's
interested, such a window could be used to display encoding statistics
graphically, in real time...

it might be possible in transcode or mplayer. iam not at all familar
with their apis.

if you're using libxvidcore in your own project, then you just change
the xvid_enc_frame.general and motion flags.

-- pete; life is like a box of ammo