[XviD-devel] multiple visual objects

suxen_drol xvid-devel@xvid.org
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 23:56:39 +1100

On Wed, 18 Dec 2002 00:01:56 -0500 "Venkata Tumati" <vt35@cornell.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to encode multiple visual objects at the same time. I was
> told to create multiple instances of the encoder and decoder, what
> exactly do they mean because I will be encoding from 3different files to
> one, so how exactly is this done.

in future, please read up on xvidcore/doc/xvid-encoder.txt,
xvidcore/doc/xvid-decoder.txt before posting to devel. 'multiple' and
'instance' are common vocabulary ...atleast for programmers.

here simplified example to create an encoder instance, encode some
frames:
	xvid_encoder(0, XVID_ENC_CREATE,  params...)
	handle = params.handle;
	while (we_have_input_video)
	{
		frame.image = my_input_image
		xvid_encoder(handle, XVID_ENC_ENCODE, frame);
		fwrite(frame.bitstream)
	}
	xvid_encore(handle, XVID_ENC_DESTROY)

creating *multiple* instances of the encoder means you perform the above
*multiple* times. e.g.

create an instance of the encoder
create a second instance of the encoder
create a third instance of the encoder

feed your 1st video source to the first encoder instance.
feed your 2nd video source to the second instance
feed your 2nd video source to the second instance

destroy the 1st instance
destroy the 2nd instance
destroy the 3rd  instance

> How exactly am I supposed to do this on xvid's version can I get exact
> details, I don't have much experience with this code I am using xvids
> code for performance studies only. The quality of the final encoding is
> not of importance but all I need is the numbers of the speed of encoding
> and decoding and cache stats.

fair enough.

> The way I did on MoMusys was
[...]

okay, so you created three configuration files.
does momusys take all three configuration files on the command line, and
spit out ONE bitstream file. or must you run mumusys three times for
each config file.

if it is the second case, then what you are doing in effect, is creating
three instances of the momusys decoder.

-- pete; life is like a box of ammo