[XviD-devel] Hints in API

Marco Al xvid-devel@xvid.org
Mon, 30 Dec 2002 00:27:04 +0100

> I know it's bit late to change that in 0.9.x series, but Hints are not a
> feature, they are a BUG. They are to manage in a nice way in core. I'm
> in favour of removing them in dev-api-3. I would like other devs to give
> me their impression about that.

Not a dev, but I think fault of a given implementation should not be used as an
arguement against a feature. I seriously doubt it isnt possible to speed up ME
with hints, by using them as additional MV candidates instead, without degrading
quality.

Without API support you could still do it in core for the case of 2-pass and for
reusing results from GME, but if you have say a motion compensated
pre-processing step then it would be a shame not to be able to use its motion
field to guide the search (motion compensated de-interlacing or de-noising for
instance ... not that good filters of that kind exist at the moment in open
source, but people are working on them).

Marco