[XviD-devel] [BUG] Stable - Fix probably needed in unstable too

Marco Al xvid-devel@xvid.org
Mon, 30 Dec 2002 12:37:32 +0100

Marco Al wrote:

> I did a clone of Skal's code using no precalculated tables apart from the
> max_run/level tables, I didnt think it was worth the bother to initialize them
> at start up they are compact enough as is. The code is actually a little
> slower, Skal said his version was too, it is prettier though :) It might
> perform better when compiled with GCC, theres quite a few conditional
> assignment operators in there.

Dunno if conditional assignments could help with GCC, but by replacing them with
traditional flow control and splitting up codecoeff in an intra and inter
version it now ties with the old code for me (Im using MSVC).

Its at http://dikkiedik.student.utwente.nl/~marco/newvlc2/

The old codecoeff (with some minimal changes) is still in there and can be used
by definining _BIGLUT_.

Everything seems to work ok, but I have only validated it against the old VLC
coding by comparing an encoded sequence from old and new code (couple of
thousand of frames).

If others find it to be correct too I think this could go into CVS, what yall
think? (Code is still derived from stable branch but a little cut&pasting is all
that is needed for unstable.)

Marco