[XviD-devel] [BUG] Stable - Fix probably needed in unstable too

Christoph Lampert xvid-devel@xvid.org
Tue, 31 Dec 2002 00:22:06 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 31 Dec 2002, suxen_drol wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Dec 2002 12:37:32 +0100 "Marco Al" <marco@simplex.nl> wrote:
>
> > If others find it to be correct too I think this could go into CVS, what yall
> > think? (Code is still derived from stable branch but a little cut&pasting is all
> > that is needed for unstable.)
> >

> i too think it should go in the cvs.
>
> the pros of the new code are:
> - small 64kb memory overhead (michaels code is currently >5mb)
> - vlc_codes.h is more readable. the tables appear as they are in the
> mpeg iso doc. (whereas the current code uses precomputed tables).
>
> cons:
> - overall ~1% slower

Really full 1% ? I need to do quite some ME tweaking to _gain_ 1%  :(

Can't this be avoided somehow? A combination of methods or something?
Precomputing tables once, reusing later?
(sorry if this is crap, I have no idea what this is about, just guessing
wildly).

gruel