[XviD-devel] [BUG] Stable - Fix probably needed in unstable too

Marco Al xvid-devel@xvid.org
Tue, 31 Dec 2002 04:32:03 +0100

Christoph Lampert wrote:

> Can't this be avoided somehow? A combination of methods or something?
> Precomputing tables once, reusing later?
> (sorry if this is crap, I have no idea what this is about, just guessing
> wildly).

Using big lookup tables is only a define away, the new initialization code can
populate both large and small (at the cost of a "little" readability).

It might not be necessary though, I have come to the conclusion I have little
clue about how to write efficient C code :) Maybe if someone with a little
better idea of what the compiler is doing took a look at the important bit of
the code (just codecoeffinter) they'll see a more efficient implementation.

Mr. Hauxwell's idea sounds even more intrigueing in retrospect, so so he might
have something with which to replace codecoeffinter/intra entirely.

Marco