[XviD-devel] Multithreaded ME

Christoph Lampert xvid-devel@xvid.org
Fri, 5 Jul 2002 11:52:22 +0200 (CEST)

> > Hi,
> >
> > finally, my dual-CPU ME is faster than single threaded, at least in high
> > quality modes. I'll do some cleanup and then commit one day to CVS.
> > It will be disabled by default, only -D_SMP will activate it.
>
> great, btw: how much faster is the dual-cpu mode now?

Almost 5% !!!

No, honestly, it's only ME and for small images (<CIF) it's still too
slow, but it's better than nothing, when I slowed things down by
working on 2 CPUs in parallel. I didn't optimize for speed, yet,
because there was a really stupid typo that cause severe image
disruptions and I changed code very often, making it more and more
conservative until I finally found the problem.
Now I can start changing it back...

> Some time ago I suggested to make the ME multithreaded for single-cpu
> mode also, but I guess this was a really stupid idea. I suppose it
> would be slower(?)

True.

> and the multithreaded code would be much less
> portable.

Also true.

> So it's good like it's now...

Helmut Kohl couldn't have said it better. ;-p

Christoph

--
Christoph H. Lampert chl@math.uni-bonn.de | Diese Signature wurde maschi-
Beringstr. 6, Raum 14 Tel. (0228) 73-2948 | nell erstellt und bedarf