[XviD-devel] Request: optimized version of image_setedges

Michael Militzer xvid-devel@xvid.org
Tue, 9 Jul 2002 00:30:38 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Christoph Lampert" <chl@math.uni-bonn.de>
To: <xvid-devel@xvid.org>
Sent: Sunday, July 07, 2002 1:53 PM
Subject: Re: [XviD-devel] Request: optimized version of image_setedges

> Fine. I was just looking around to see what could possibly be
> multithreaded. I though of image_interpolate, because it used to be rather
> slow, but now there doesn't seem to be a real #1 candidate at the moment.
> Maybe I manage to put whole FrameCodeP into several threads...

Hm, it seems that it's no bad idea to try to write a SMP aequivalent for
FrameCodeP and FrameCodeI. The new functions (FrameCodeP_SMP etc.) could be
simply additionally included to encoder.c and nothing will be different for
single-cpu mode. Especially the code wouldn't become too hard to understand
because only 2 "normal" functions would be replaced by SMP aware ones.

The motion_estimation call has of course to be moved back into the big for()
loop again for the SMP variant then the for() loop could be multithreaded. I
suppose this would give a good speed gain and also should scale pretty
well...

How's the status of your SMP aware FrameCodeP function?

bye
Michael