[XviD-devel] 15% faster search16, if anyone is interested

Radoslaw 'sysKin' Czyz xvid-devel@xvid.org
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 00:13:50 +0930

Hi
As some of you know, I'm trying to create a different inter4v motion
search.
As a by-product of my experiments, I've discovered that four sad8s
conducted in place of one sad16 lead to about 15% faster encoding (for
non-inter4v). Of course this is not because 4 x sad8 is faster, but
because it's possible to do an early termination after each sad8.

I was a bit surprised about this, but whatever, It doesn't matter much
for my code - it will only benefit if inter4v is off.

The results were made with pmvfast, no-inter4v, advdiamond, halfpel
refine and ext_search. It used xmm sad-code (for AthlonXP.. it's xmm
right? It doesn't matter either)

Best regards
Radek 'sysKin' Czyz