[XviD-devel] nothing important

Christoph Lampert xvid-devel@xvid.org
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 19:02:33 +0200 (CEST)

> So if there is a part of the code i can load and write some lines :) (I'm a
> C++ coder and not a C coder )

> i've here some questions (if so could give answers, thx)
> - From what i saw, XviD is coded in C, and not in C++ (right?).

Right. No C++ in the core.

> - Are the H.26l specs  Object-oriented (it's why i understood but maybe i'm
> wrong :(
> - The day XviD would use the H.26l specs (if they are in the MPEG-4
> standard), would you rewrite the code (or it's already object-based)
> I've looked in the code but i think a coder can give me better answers (and
> i want to be sure)

I don't know if H.26L specs are OO, but I'm pretty sure tha XviD will not
move to C++ or another OO design. It's pure plain C with assembler
optimization and heavily optimized for speed. Optimizing C++ for speed is
a big pain in the a**... at least as far as I know.

So I doubt that there will be much C++ code in the core of XviD.
However,  there may be space for C++ code at other places or you'll have
to cope with writing C code.
E.g. some object oriented wrapper to use an XviD encoder/decoder class a
C++ environment?

Christoph H. Lampert chl@math.uni-bonn.de | Diese Signature wurde maschi-
Beringstr. 6, Raum 14 Tel. (0228) 73-2948 | nell erstellt und bedarf
Sprechstunden: keine, aber meistens da    | keiner Unterschrift. AZ 27B-6