[XviD-devel] nothing important

Marc FD xvid-devel@xvid.org
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 23:22:29 +0200

> I don't know if H.26L specs are OO, but I'm pretty sure tha XviD will not
> move to C++ or another OO design. It's pure plain C with assembler
> optimization and heavily optimized for speed. Optimizing C++ for speed is
> a big pain in the a**... at least as far as I know.

I didn't know that. But when i think of it linear code is always easier to
optimize :)

> So I doubt that there will be much C++ code in the core of XviD.
> However,  there may be space for C++ code at other places or you'll have
> to cope with writing C code.
> E.g. some object oriented wrapper to use an XviD encoder/decoder class a
> C++ environment?

Personnaly i'm as good in C++ than in C. It's just because i'm used to OO.
I've played a little with NASM but i need to learn a lot before i would be
able to
code mmx,sse,sse2,3dnow,3dnow2, ect... code :(
I think i should read intel & amd papers on their instruction sets...
If someone can give me good links :)
I think the better way to enjoy myself coding is to work on the core :)

Any idea how i could compile and debug it without the DShow SDK and
with MSVC++ SP4 & nasm only ?? It would be really great (ie if a coder
use linux and need to test is code, how does it manage to do it ....)
I think it's really too hard to code without any feedback.
Or i'm not good enough....

Thx