[XviD-devel] nothing important

peter ross xvid-devel@xvid.org
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 08:46:07 +1000

>From: "Marc FD" <marcfd@free.fr>
>To: <xvid-devel@xvid.org>
>Subject: Re: [XviD-devel] nothing important
>Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 23:22:29 +0200
>
> > I don't know if H.26L specs are OO, but I'm pretty sure tha XviD will
>not
> > move to C++ or another OO design. It's pure plain C with assembler
> > optimization and heavily optimized for speed. Optimizing C++ for speed
>is
> > a big pain in the a**... at least as far as I know.
>
>I didn't know that. But when i think of it linear code is always easier to
>optimize :)

YES c++ code is generally slower than plain c.
oo is good for representing class hierachies and provides code reuse via
inheritance, templates, etc.  unfortunately xvid doesnt need these things.

plain-c also helps with portability, there's a c compiler available for most
platforms.

> > So I doubt that there will be much C++ code in the core of XviD.
> > However,  there may be space for C++ code at other places or you'll have
> > to cope with writing C code.
> > E.g. some object oriented wrapper to use an XviD encoder/decoder class a
> > C++ environment?
>
>Personnaly i'm as good in C++ than in C. It's just because i'm used to OO.
>I've played a little with NASM but i need to learn a lot before i would be
>able to
>code mmx,sse,sse2,3dnow,3dnow2, ect... code :(
>I think i should read intel & amd papers on their instruction sets...
>If someone can give me good links :)
>I think the better way to enjoy myself coding is to work on the core :)

you can do that, although our asm optimizations are fairly complete.

>Any idea how i could compile and debug it without the DShow SDK and
>with MSVC++ SP4 & nasm only ?? It would be really great (ie if a coder
>use linux and need to test is code, how does it manage to do it ....)
>I think it's really too hard to code without any feedback.
>Or i'm not good enough....

1. cvs checkout 'xvidcore' and 'vfw'
2. open /xvidcore/build/win32/core.dsw & compile.
3. open /vfw/vfw.dsw & compile.
4. you should now have a '/vfw/bin/xvid.dll'. simply install it using the
.inf, or copy over you existing 'windows/system/xvid.dll'

dshow is only a directx decoding filter. to get xvid up-and-running, it is
not neccessary to compile this.

to compile dshow you will need the directx sdk.

-- pete