[XviD-devel] B-frames encoding code committed

Dirk Knop xvid-devel@xvid.org
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 13:55:08 +0200

Ahoy!

Christoph Lampert wrote:

>I just committed a few changes which (for _my_ machine)
>finally creates a working B-frames encoding including
>direct mode (without delta MVs; that's next).

Finally, some direct mode - nice work!

>There is still a problem with time-codes, which I simply hacked away by
>ignoring them and calculating B->P distance in another way.

I guess this could be the cause for the problems I get with the new
code, but see below.

>!!!Please test as much as possible!!!

Ok, I tried to, made a "public" build of this code, but it keeps
crashing on me (win32/VDub/...). I just tried two times to encode "die
purpurnen flüsse" with 2 bframes and no divx_bvop_compatibility nor
packed_bitstream, and the behaviour is strange: the first crash dumped
vdub into nirvana without any notice, the program just "dissolved in
thin air". The second time, the crash dump dialog of vdub came up and
showed some strange pmXXXX ax,[eax] (just from mind protocol, could have
been other registers, and sorry for not remembering that assembler
instruction correctly) as crash reason (access violation). Also, those
crashes appeared in different places, the first was after 57XX frames,
the second after 68XX, so it's nothing that can be reproduced correctly
on my side :-/
I guess I have to spend some hours to setup a real debug environment to
see what's going on there (phew, but the motivation to do so...).
Maybe it's worth to mention that I activated EPSZ(^2) motion estimation
and defined bframes (as only changes to the "plain" cvs code).

>I guess both will get better when _real_ interpolation search and
>direct mode with MV is implemented.

I'm looking forward to this. As I still don't understand the code
completely, do you have an estimation when you will get this done? Don't
misunderstand me, I don't want to rush anything, but having something
like "2 weeks" to tell the users to wait at doom9 would be nice to have.

Thanks for your work again, keep it up! :)

Best regards,
Dirk

aka Koepi