[XviD-devel] Bframe bugfixes

Christoph Lampert xvid-devel@xvid.org
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 01:54:23 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

I committed some bugfixes and since it was mainly
algorithmic stuff, not only typos, I had to change quite
a lot of other routines as well, in particul in motion_est.c and motion.h.

My tests were successful with and without Bframes, at least
for DX50 compat mode.
Bframes are also decoded correctly with ffmpeg and divx5,
and the image problems should have disappeared.
Again: Please test!!!
Important: Bframes (with direct mode) _cannot_ work without
halfpel interpolation. Should we force halfpel interpolation
if bframes are active? Or leave it to the GUI/(application
to think of this?
Halfpel + inter4v will be even slower than normal, because I have to use
sad8bi then and that's not MMX/XMM'ed at the moment. Sorry!

Btw, quality is still worse than without bframes, but at least Bframes
have now same quality as P-frames at fixed quant. It's just the too
large encoding size that's bad now.

I will have to add better ME for direct mode to achieve higher encoding
efficiency and something similar for interpolated mode, too. Expect things
to get slower, soon.

Since I don't want to have 6 version of block based search
around, I'll try to come up with some kind of "wrapper" to
handle all types of search at once.

That's all from me,

Christoph H. Lampert chl@math.uni-bonn.de | Diese Signature wurde maschi-
Beringstr. 6, Raum 14 Tel. (0228) 73-2948 | nell erstellt und bedarf
Sprechstunden: keine, aber meistens da    | keiner Unterschrift. AZ 27B-6