[XviD-devel] want to give a hand

Edouard Gomez xvid-devel@xvid.org
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 16:09:03 +0200

Marc FD (marcfd@free.fr) wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I'm playing around with the mmx/xmm/isse/3dnow i.sets since 3 days and
> i think  it's time to make  something "usefull" s.o.  said there where
> always things to be "MMXed" so if  there is something like it to do, i
> would help if i can :) (it would be kind if you can lemme do something
> "easy" to begin, but i think all easy opt. are already done...)
>
> i ask because  i'm not used enough  with XviD to say :  "let's work on
> xx_xx.c and then i will patch xx.c, ect..."
>
> i need to "aim" on something
>
> tell me if i can help (i hope i could :)

I was  thinking about an  easy function to  code. It's not asm  but it
could be  interesting for  you because you'll  have to learn  how XviD
internals work.

Short explaination :

XviD uses lot of flags to  make it very flexible. The problem is flags
are not  even checked and  there're many combinations that  are simply
wrong (eg:  8x8 search when inter4v  is not set...  many more nonsense
combinations are possible).

What about coding a function :

unsigned long xvid_valid_flag(unsigned long flag, int flagtype);

that would return a valid flag (doing its best to match library client wishes)

(the flagtype is just to indicate what sort of flag has to be checked:
general, global, motion ...)

This would be great to have such a flag validator in the core.

I  would have  coded  it before,  but  i'm working  on  the vfw  curve
treatment  port for transcode  0.6.0 and  don't have  time to  code it
until i get the vbr module working as expected (koepi/foxer, your code
is nice but very interdependant :-).

--
Edouard Gomez