[XviD-devel] Fwd: Re: Independant vbr lib

Dirk Knop xvid-devel@xvid.org
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 20:17:01 +0200

Hi,

Edouard Gomez wrote:

>To koepi :
>
>I need some  more infos about certain config fields in  the vfw gui. I
>noticed  there's a  2pass_max_bitrate, but  i don't  know where  it is
>really initialized (hardcoded value in a big structure or registry). I
>need this for the 2pass_max_framesize...

    int twopass_max_bitrate;
is in struct CONFIG in config.h and gets initialised via registry (or
the codec's VFW GUI if you change it, where it is stored to the registry
again ;) ).
So the default setting for the registry is
    {"twopass_max_bitrate",        ®.twopass_max_bitrate,
10000 * CONFIG_KBPS},

in codec.c it gets fed into the setup:
    case DLG_MODE_2PASS_2_EXT :
        param.rc_bitrate = 0;
        codec->twopass.max_framesize =
(int)((double)codec->config.twopass_max_bitrate / 8.0 /
((double)codec->fbase / (double)codec->fincr));
        break;

>Have you looked at my code and noticed a functional difference between
>your  code and  mine  (for the  2pass  code only,  others  are not  my
>priority) ?

I think it's best to invoke foxer here as he implemented that class and
I didn't touch much of that code (it's a little too complicated to
really understand everything he did there ;) ) If he goes online again
I'll send him your code and will ask him to review it.

>I would like to  compare both code (yours and mine) so  i could see if
>the code is the same. But we  need to encode the same movie to compare
>curve treatment output  (quant and intra frames). Does  the 2pass mode
>work well with short movies (let's say 5minutes ?) because i've only 2
>DVDs at  home and it will  be very difficult  for me to test  the code
>with other DVDs  (lack of money :-) A five minute  clip would be small
>enough  so we  can share  the original  vob file  in my  ftp.  Is this
>possible ?

Sure, it should be possible to check it even on a 1 minute clip, that's
already 1500 frames... But to be sure the code works the same it should
be a mpeg file (already extracted from the vob) and we should see that
we don't use different colour-spaces, resizing options,... but we should
discuss this in private I guess ;)

I hope this helps. Thanks for your efforts Edouard, it a step in the
right direction!

Regards,
Dirk