[XviD-devel] Status of GMC

Marco Al xvid-devel@xvid.org
Sat, 2 Nov 2002 17:20:27 +0100

Christoph Lampert wrote:

> gruel
>
> P.S. What's smaller? A coded INTER-block without DCT and with vectors
> (0,0), or a completely black INTRA-block?

No idea, but a related question ... has anyone tried if using skip (instead of
(0,0) without coefficients) even has any benefit at all on a global scale if
b-frames are used? I could see them being counterproductive, you would think the
skip threshold would have to be higher for a start.

BTW you sure a specific optimization for borders (which might not even be really
black a lot of the time, given the constrained luma range of tv signals) is
really usefull? It is always better to crop after all.

Marco