[XviD-devel] newpred

Christoph Lampert xvid-devel@xvid.org
Wed, 6 Nov 2002 21:59:14 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 7 Nov 2002, peter ross wrote:

> >From: Christoph Lampert <chl@math.uni-bonn.de>
> > > has anyone read-up on the newpred mode?
> >
> >Where is that?
>
> iso/iec 14496-2, page 314:
>
> "In NEWPRED mode, decoder may have the additional reference VOP memory
> to store previously decoded VOPs. When the reference VOP is indicated
> by vop_id_for_prediction, the decoder select reference VOP from
> reference VOP memory or additional reference VOP memory to switch the
> reference picture to the indicated one."
>
> the newpred mode is inteneded for feedback systems, where the decoder
> can send a message to the encoder saying "oops, the last frame i
> received was corrupted. dont bother resending it, just send me the next
> frame, but use a previous vop as the reference."

Yes, that sounds completely reasonable... 8-}   Now we know why the
Stndard has so many pages...

> >Sound good (and slow)...
>
> from what've ive read the previous vop can refer to any vop
> up-and-until the last i-vop, an there's talk of newpred+bvops.
> yay, more ambiguity.

Funny, never heard of it (I completely ignored "error resilience" so far).
But it sounds cool. So you think it could be used for image quality
reasons, too? Is it part of any profile?
Does ffmpeg support it? ;-)

gruel