[XviD-devel] "Automatic" settings

Michael Militzer xvid-devel@xvid.org
Wed, 6 Nov 2002 22:52:46 +0100

Hi,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Christoph Lampert" <chl@math.uni-bonn.de>
To: <xvid-devel@xvid.org>
Sent: Monday, November 04, 2002 12:08 PM
Subject: Re: [XviD-devel] "Automatic" settings

> On Mon, 4 Nov 2002, peter ross wrote:
>
> > hi
> >
> > >Why shouldn't it?
> >
> > the bitstream parser described in the mpeg-4 specs, permits one
> > vol per video-object.
>
> So we would need several video-objects, too. One AVI files contains
> several VO which are played in a row. Doesn't sound too dirty to me.

yes, it seems ok to me to place VOL headers at I-frames (different VOs in a
row then). However we also write a VOL-header for p-frames if quantizer type
changes in "modulated quant" mode. I'm pretty sure this is not ok (but it
could be easily fixed by removing the "modulated quant" option, imho there's
no gain from it anyway)...

bye,
Michael