[XviD-devel] Re: Two Encoders

Christoph Lampert xvid-devel@xvid.org
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 10:44:33 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, ChristianHJW wrote:
> In a normal encoding scenario the 2 CPUs can be used nicely with GKnot :
>
> CPU1 :   xvid.dll ; virtualdub.dll
>
> CPU 2 : avisynth.dll : resizing, filtering, etc.
>
> On my SMP system i get 85 - 95% CPU load with normal GKnot

Yes, but that depends very much on the calling application.
Transcode is multithreaded, too, and when using slow rescaling
I get around 180% CPU load of 200%, but it's asymmetric and therefore
very limited.
Add 2 more CPUs and you are still at 180%, then of 400%. Also, if I
_don't_ use slow rescaling, but just cropping or similar, then the
load drops, of course.

gruel