[XviD-devel] Multithreaded encode

Christoph Lampert xvid-devel@xvid.org
Fri, 29 Nov 2002 16:00:42 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

is there a multithreaded encoding application for Windows?
Not a multithreaded codec, but an application that does "cluster"
encode:
Cut input into parts, encode them individually, join them in the end?

Since we do two-pass encoding with fixed quant (I didn't think about it
earlier, because for Linux it used to be different), and filesize is also
reached very well, this would be really easy to implement and provide
almost linear speedup (counting only pure encoding time) for SMP and
distributed clusters.

Its not really a feature for XVID, rather of the application that also
handles two-pass. Maybe VfW could have a feature for it? On linux, there
could be a wrapper in 2pass-lib, or the feature could be added to
ordinary transcode cluster mode.

gruel