[XviD-devel] divx5, bframes and non-coded vops

peter ross xvid-devel@xvid.org
Wed, 02 Oct 2002 19:48:09 +1000

g'day all,

in packed-avi files (divx5.02+brfames), the divx5 decoder REQUIRES
n_vops otherwise it "forgets" to display the refernce pframe.
this is rather hilarious!

example: if the X frames are anything but n_vops
bitstream       [I]  [PB] [B]  [X]  [PB] [B]  [X]
correct decode   I    B    B    P    B    B    P
divx5 decode     I    B    B  ->B<-  P    B  ->B<-

also, i ocasionally notice the divx5 decoding immediately displaying
the 'P' frame in a packed-avi frame (it should delayed until the
n_vop). iam not sure why divx5 does this, but its probably related to the
n_vop timestamp.

example:
bitstream       [I]  [PB] [B]  [X]  [PB] [B]  [X]
correct decode   I    B    B    P    B    B    P
divx5 decode     I    B    B    P  ->P<-  B    P

btw michael-n: ffmpeg-devel archive display on sourceforge
shows the latest message as 2002-09-26 02:16.

-- pete