AW: [XviD-devel] Transcode module

Bernhard Penz xvid-devel@xvid.org
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 13:35:06 +0200

Hi,

> Okay, sounds reasonable. So in theory more than one video_object startcode
> per frame is possible, even if not used in XviD (or anyother MPEG-4
> codec I know of). It would therefore in general not be "clean" to simply
> cut at VOP-start boundaries, but the timecode has to be taken into account
> to see which VOPs belong in one chunk. Right?

This is not correct. A VO Startcode indicates the start of a new video
object, obviously. Someone could insert in a video elementary stream (VES)
another VO startcode indicating the start of a new video object (Could be
useful for e.g. changing the dimension of the video in a streaming
environment). But currently most decoders crash when seeing a video
elementary stream with more than one VOS/VO/VOL header.

Anyhow, if you get hold on a Envivio coding station (costs approx. USD
1500), you can combine multiple VESs into a MP4 file. Gives you fancy things
like video-in-video playback and much much more.

greetings,
Bernhard