[XviD-devel] new developers

Christoph Lampert xvid-devel@xvid.org
Thu, 3 Oct 2002 18:20:04 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 3 Oct 2002, peter ross wrote:

> hello,
>
> one of my flatmates is a bit borred and wants to contibute to xvid.
> are there any 'easy' tasks/jobs we can give him?
>
> he's a computer science student; basic c/c++ skills and pretty good
> with java.

Documentation ;-)

No, honestly "easy" tasks are hard to find... what we _could_ use is to
automatise some every day testing stuff:

1) Make xvid_stat.c and xvid_bstat.c into a standard testing environment
   (e.g. compatible on all plattforms).

2) Create standard benchmarks/scripts, e.g. from MPEG sequencens and/or
   tools to analyse output.

3) Enhance visualiuation of output (is motion vector visualization
   perfect? Inter/Intra/Skip blocks? Same for B-frames?

An very old goal of mine:

4) Modify the decoder to only print the contents of given output fields
   instead of real decoding  (MPEG-4 bitstream parser).

gruel