[XviD-devel] vfw 2pass stats

Dirk Knop xvid-devel@xvid.org
Sun, 13 Oct 2002 19:00:08 +0200

Hi,

daniel smith wrote:

>sounds nice, i would also like a variable for bits spent on texture data (since quant affects it more than motion vector cost).
>

>>BTW, for 2pass, what do you think of disabling bframe_ratio, and to make
>>a special case for bframes ?
>>

>it can already be disabled by setting the bquant variable for each frame.  bquant_ratio is only used if bquant < 1.

Uff, finally someone wrote that here, too ;)
I was hoping to get better 2pass support but just mentioned that on
doom9's for now ;)

I think we need to have full control for the 2nd pass: dynamic i/p/b
decision totally messes up overflow treatment/curve compression.

So to join the proposals made, the stats file could look like this:

Frame No. | total bytes | texture bytes (or bits) | Frame Type | Frame
Quant [|kblk|mblk|ublk (imho not necessary)]
000001 | 1024 |  1024 | I | 2 | [680|0|0]
000002 | 96 | 0 | P | 2 | [0|0|680]

What we need as well for further analysis/improvement is an output of
the decisions made, like we fetch with debugview for now - but it should
be possible to get such a file with xvidcore/vfw as well.

What do you think?

Best regards,
Koepi