[XviD-devel] Help needed

peter ross xvid-devel@xvid.org
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 23:15:39 +1000

>Hello...

howdy

>I am student trying to do MPEG 4 compression and streaming for my project
>and I was looking at the xvid code. I  got around to compressing the frames
>into a file . Now if I need to view it let us say Windows Media Player , I
>presume I would need to attach an header file or something like that ( eg:
>avi header , or asf ), which I am not sure on how to do.? I would be very
>grateful if someone could help me out on what to do. I am trying to do this
>in Windows.

there are libraries available to read/write avi (and asf...) files.
there is currently no "raw mpeg4 bitstream -> avi convertor", though
i believe gruel was planning to write one.

playback of mpeg-4 avi's within windows-media-player requires a
mpeg-4 decoder filter. there are several available: xvid dshow, ffdshow
(ffmpeg), divx5, etc.

there's also tools at the mpeg4ip project (sourceforge.net) which
converts raw mpeg4 bitstreams into .mp4 files. mp4 files are viewable
in most commerical mpeg-4 players (quicktime, envivio, etc.).

-- pete