[XviD-devel] Re: [RFC] A solution to avoid API incompatibilities.

ChristianHJW xvid-devel@xvid.org
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 19:24:58 +0200

"peter ross" <suxen_drol@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> here what i'd like to see have.
> 1. the uci api is complete and released.
> 2. xvid adopts uci as a frontend.
> 3. all applications on the unix platform uses uci to access xvid
> 4. the vfw and directshow frontends are adopted to use uci, instead
>     of the native xvid api.
> 5. xvid drops the native api and implements uci natively.
> -- pete

Pete, i forwarded your email to uci-devel@lists.sourceforge.net  so that
Alex is aware ofyour interest in using UCI as a future API for XviD.

For those interested, browse http://uci.sourceforge.net to learn more about
it.

There is one thing i'd like to clarify in this respect :

While there is a good cooperation between the founder of UCI, Alex 'Foogod'
Stewart, and the MCF team, both projects are in no form related and
completely independant. Sure, the MCF team is currently checking if we could
drop our self made transor API in favour of UCI, making things much easier
for us. But we cant live with a codec only solution, so maybe we have to
make some extensions to it to be able to handle not only codecs, but also
other formats ( like a 'UFI' , being based on UCI ). In any case it would be
great if you guys could decide to use UCI for XviD, because this was a proof
for the real opensource spirit here in this project, unlike other well known
projects, where people seem to be caught by the 'not-invented-here' syndrome
...  :-)  !!

ChristianHJW

Sites : http://mcf.sourceforge.net
http://sf.net/projects/mcf
MCF mailing lists : news://news.gmane.org
gmane.comp.video.mcf.general
gmane.comp.video.mcf.devel
gmane.comp.video.mcf.mplayer
gmane.comp.video.mcf.announce