[XviD-devel] SAD of last visited neighbour positions

Michael Niedermayer xvid-devel@xvid.org
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 12:22:05 +0200

Hi

On Sunday 20 October 2002 23:50, Christoph Lampert wrote:
> Hi (Michael),
>
> I just looked into ME again to add fields for saving the SAD
> values of previously visited positions (for faster halfpel/qpel).
>
> The more I started patching, the more I feel like it's a pain in the
> a** to add support for this. :(
> Whole ME is not structured to keep track of all this values (SAD and
> position). It can of course be done, but do you have any idea if it's
> really worth doing it?
a quick benchmark (with 1000frames of the well known matrix sequence) shows
64.00 sec for the fast-halfpel
67.27 sec for the normal-halfpel

thats both without 4mv / b frames or any fancy stuff, note, the SADs are
preserved in both cases
so thats 5% difference approximately, dunno if thats significant enough for u

[...]

Michael