[XviD-devel] Re: Aspect Ratio

ChristianHJW xvid-devel@xvid.org
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 10:11:02 +0200

"Christoph Lampert" <chl@math.uni-bonn.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:Pine.LNX.4.21.0210221102200.29659-100000@raum6.math.uni-bonn.de...
> Hi,
> there was a question at transcode mailing list to add support for
> aspect ratio information to XviD (mplayer and ffmpeg-Dshow might support
> it one for viewing).
> It would be _very_ easy to implement, just change the line

Originally i was against this, with respect to incompatibility with almost
all existing decoders. Meanwhile i changed my mind completely, i think its a
good thing to do in any case.

The feature would not only allow to respect the specific properties of TVs,
but maybe also to correct AR errors that are recognised after the encoding
is finished ( only in 'extended' mode i guess ). If its easy to do and both
dshow filters for XviD, means ffdshow and xvid filter, support it, there are
no incompatibilities either, maybe only with elder playback filters.

As Christoph was saying, XviD was the first to support this feature of MPEG4
specs ;-) !
--
Christian

Sites : http://mcf.sourceforge.net